Sunday, June 8, 2008

letter to suzie

Let me begin by saying that

I like you this way.

Far away and distinct from the people

who are all here - talking, eating, dancing,

complaining with me, alongside me, before I do,

after I do. Sometimes, the chaos that they engender

is something that I'd like to keep in box, wrap up with a red,

festive ribbon. I'd put it in a spot

where there is sunlight. All these

experiences, you understand, must grow into something.

Maybe a bilbao tree, all branches and high twigs that

I can't reach. Or it would be nice if it

sprung full force into a dark and jealous cloud.

But what I'd really like these things to be

are the shoes you use going to that factory you

used to write me about. They'd

clamber around your feet, forming a forcefield,

impenetrable but light as love.

I'm sorry if I have come across as too forward.

So let's talk about the

leaves that stay stubbornly on your doorstep.

They are picketting, you know. Complaining

about their existence. (But oh how I wish I were

one of them, lightly, lightly, hanging

on to your old, tight boots)

XXX, Sincerely.

No comments: